Hello Readers and a Happy Monday to you all! Firstly, I want to apologize for not posting in a while. The reason for this was a combination of traveling, family in town, and laziness…for the latter, I am sorry. So! Now that that’s out of the way, onto the post! While I am a native New Yorker always and forever (shout out to my homies back east) I have developed quite a love for my new city of Los Angeles. Next month will mark my 3 years as a resident of California (even though my driver’s licnese says otherwise…oops). With this milestone just around the corner, I thought I’d take this time/post to express the things I love about LA:
1) The weather- in spite of my initial cynical New Yorker attitude “I’m going to miss the seasons! How can it be sunny ALL THE TIME?!” - that went away real fast
2) Driving - which may be as surprising as finding out I started this food blog- but, it’s become valuable “me” time (listening to new music/audio books, catching up with friends and family over the phone, singing really loudly to anything Broadway- or “Smash” or “Glee”)…and it’s much better than starting out your morning looking super fly only to have to walk/take the subway in suffocating heat - and show up to work looking like a wet dog-sorry east coasters.
* Side note- when stuck in horrible traffic, with somewhere to be, all of this goes right out the window- and my feelings towards this city quickly change to: F*&*#& YOU LA! YOU ARE THE WORST CITY EVER!
3) Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA”…’cause who didn’t hop off a flight at LAX with a dream and a cardigan?
4) My spacious apartment/the ability to BBQ in the backyard and…
5) The Farmer’s Markets/Fresh Food available in LA…which brings me to the relevant food post!
Every time I make it to a Sunday farmer’s market, I fall more and more in love with this city. Walking around the market- stopping at different booths to taste the weekend’s freshest fruits, the deliciously flavored balsamic vinegars, and the array of savory tapenades might be one of my favorite things to do. Whether it’s a morning trip I take by myself or with friends, it always manages to put me in a good mood. A few weekends ago, Lloyd’s family came to visit. After some delicious dinners around town, we decided to stay in and cook/bbq for Sunday’s meal. While I may be the one with the food blog, Lloyd, his mom Janie and his two sisters Ann and Laura are the mighty fierce ones in the kitchen. They produced an exquisite feast for the evening- with such amazing items as grilled corn, steak, pasta salad and chicken. But! Nonetheless, I successfully contributed quite the delicious peach, tomato, basil and mozzarella salad. It was a simple salad to create, but the farmer’s market fresh ingredients kept it up to par with the other’s dishes. So, what’s the lesson learned here today readers? Any dish - no matter how simple or complex it is to make- is an accomplishment…as long it tastes good. See below for photos, ingredients and the Farmer’s Market Peach, Basil, Tomato & Mozz Salad recipe!
FARMER’S MARKET PEACH, BASIL, TOMATO & MOZZ SALAD
2 large heirloom tomatos
3 white peaches (or any peach of your preference)
A bundle of basil (that may not be the right term, but you get it)
1 block of mozzarella (try to get a kind that’s a little firmer- pause for inappropriate giggle- easier to chop)
Simple…chop it all up and put into a bowl!
Squeeze a quarter of a lemon into the bowl of ingredients
Add salt and pepper
Add desired amount of balsamic and olive oil
Mix (I like to use my hands- but you can use salad tongs if you’re afraid of getting your hands dirty)
And you’re ready to serve and enjoy!